Thursday, December 27, 2012

LOVE



This season always makes me think about what love means to me. Not just the feeling, because feelings are so fleeting, but what it really is. Corinthians talks extensively about love. Love is patient, love is kind..etc. The underlying message of that verse is that love is something that you give. To give is an action. Love is therefore an action. 

Now, that I've dabbled in my daily philosophical deduction exercise, I'll get to my point. Love is something that I'm constantly working out. I'm not a perfect lover. I have my shortcomings, but I know the way to come to truly understand an issue is to think about it, to meditate on it, to practice it. 

I look to Jesus to show me how. I've been reading the book of Matthew very deliberately to make sure I take in every ounce of truth I can get out those scriptures. To truly love Jesus I must know Him. And to truly know love I must know Him. It's like a continuum. To love love, I  must first know love. Confused yet? Basically, Jesus is the answer. I have to know Him, and His message to truly appreciate what it is He is offering. LOVE. 

I've started to consciously practice really loving in all of my relationships with people as well. I give my time, my energy, and my resources to those I claim to love. Not only that, but I seek to know them. To truly know their hearts.  This isn't easy, but the payoff is amazing. Nothing can substitute for true intimacy in a relationship. 

What I thought was love in my last romantic relationship, was a shadowy sham of what could've been. But as they say what could've been, would've been, if it should've been. I'm glad I've taken to the time to learn what love is, and how to go about loving, so that next time, I'll take my time and delight in the gift of true intimacy. True love. 

The picture is of my mother and I around this time last year. She has been an awesome example of love in action for me. I'm wearing a custom dress, Rachel Roy shoes (similar here), and a vintage purse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment