Monday, August 27, 2012

My Everything

Christianity isn't my religion. I'm not religious. What I have is more than practiced rituals, empty chants, or a self-righteous defense mechanism to esteem myself while I put others down. My Faith is a relationship. It's close, it's personal, it's intimate. It's worth more than anything. As humans, we need relationships. God made us in his image, so God Himself is a relational God. That's how He works. Our relationship with Him is what blesses us and blesses Him. I used to look for this type of all encompassing relationship in the world, in man. I yearned for true love, someone I could depend on, someone who wouldn't leave me, someone who understood me and my faults. What I've come to figure out is that the desire I had in my heart wasn't wrong. We all yearn deeply for God even if we don't know that it's Him we're searching for. We want that one person who can change our lives for the better, but I was and a lot of people are aiming their affections at unworthy targets. 

What I love most about God is that because of who He is, He can be my everything. Being that He is the giver of all good things (James 1:5) , and He will not hold any good thing from me (Psalms 84:11), I lack nothing. 

He is my provider (Philippians 4:19)
He is my helper (Psalms 54:4)
He is my joy (Psalms 43:4)
He is my strength (Psalms 28:7)
He is my guide (Isaiah 58:11)
He is my comforter (Psalms 34:18)
He is my protector (Psalms 91)
He is my confidence (Isaiah 41:10)
He is my rescuer (Lamentations 3:58)
He is my power ( Philippians 4:13)
He is truthful (Numbers 23:19)
He is my peace (John 14:27)
He is my One true love (Romans 8:37-39)

I used to look for just one of these things in people, or a combination that I could get by with. I looked to family, dating relationships, friends, but no one can do what God has done for me. I used to feel hopeless, like I'd never get what I needed and desperately desired, but God showed me there was a better way. I had a choice, and it was a good one. I had Him. I had everything! Seek God, not because of what He will do for you. Seek because you are His (Psalms 139:13) , because He knows you better than you know yourself ( Luke 12:7), because He loved you first (John 3:16). We are all God's children. Just like our parents want us to show them love and that we appreciate them, and that we value them not because of what they can do for us but because they love us, God wants the same thing. God wants our hearts. He wants us to know Him. He wants us to be secure in the fact that true love is already ours, and it will be ours forever (Matthew 24:35). 

No comments:

Post a Comment